Vegetariabean

Being a vegetarian for more than eleven years, people are always asking me...BUT WHAT DO YOU EAT? Hopefully this blog will give readers some insight into the world of vegetarianism, and inspire those teetering but afraid of lack of food choices, to take that final step.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Thai Food... I Love Thai Food.

Living by Roosevelt Ave, there are so many delicious Mexican restaurants. I was pleasantly surprised today by friends with a delicious fried corn quesadilla with oaxacan cheese and sliced avocado. I wish I had remembered to take a picture, but I ate it so fast. I am so lucky to live in Queens, which has every type of cuisine you can think of (and good at that). I can get not only traditional Mexican, but also Thai. Thai food is vegetarian friendly, and it is one of my favorite cuisines. For dinner I had some papaya salad (som tum). You can ask them to make it vegetarian (it traditionally has dried shrimp in it and/or shrimp paste and fish sauce). I made this from scratch once and it came out pretty good, but was pretty labor intensive. I prepared the green papaya the traditional way, by peeling the papaya and then using a large sharp knife to make cuts in the flesh, and then shaving it off with the knife. Click on THIS to see a video of it. It's pretty amazing. There was green papaya everywhere in my kitchen. Tonight, I also had red curry with vegetables (eggplant, baby corn, carrot, thai basil, broccoli, bamboo shoots), no tofu. Good stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I wish I could find green papaya easily around here. I'd love to make a nice pot of tinola.

    ReplyDelete