Vegetariabean

Being a vegetarian for more than eleven years, people are always asking me...BUT WHAT DO YOU EAT? Hopefully this blog will give readers some insight into the world of vegetarianism, and inspire those teetering but afraid of lack of food choices, to take that final step.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Savory Peach Salad

I saw a recipe similar to this one in a magazine my mom had at the beach. The peaches are still so delicious at this time of year. Try this recipe before they are out of season. Last week I made peach cobbler, which did NOT turn out good. No point in posting the recipe. Though it tasted good, I was told the consistancy was like snot...which...it was. This salad on the other hand is so good. It is my second time making it in the last few weeks. My mom came over for lunch a few weeks ago, and I could see from the look on her face that she wasn't too keen on me putting onions, olive oil, pepper, and basil onto peaches. Now, I know what you are thinking. You are thinking the same thing as my mom. Trust me on this one, she did and she loved it. My father also loved it, and he's a tough one. Here is the recipe:

-Half of an onion, sliced very thin (I used red onion the first time)
-3 very large peaches or 6 smaller peaches, sliced (take off the skin if you want)
-Fresh basil, chiffonade (about 10 leaves)
-Half of a lemon
-Extra virgin olive oil
-Tsp of salt
-Fresh ground pepper to taste

Start off by placing the onion into a large bowl with water and a tsp of salt. Mix it around and let it sit in there for 15 minutes or so. Drain the water out and add the peaches, basil, juice of the half of the lemon, basil, ground pepper, and a few turns of extra virgin olive oil into the bowl.
Gently mix it. It is best eaten the same day. You can eat it as is, or you can put over rice or quinoa. You can also eat it with some Gardein Meatless Chicken.
I also had some sushi rolls today. An avocado/cucumber roll and an oshinko (a type of sweet pickled daikon radish) roll, then some poblano spinach enchiladas with salsa verde for dinnner, topped with lots of shredded lettuce.

No comments:

Post a Comment